Johny Hendricks vs. Tyron Woodley scrapped from Saturday’s UFC 192

ufc171_13_hendricks_vs_lawler_003

Josh Hedges|Zuffa LLC|Zuffa LLC

A highly anticipated welterweight contest has been scrapped from Saturday's UFC 192 pay-per-view card. UFC President Dana White announced on Friday morning that the initially planned co-main event, a No. 1 contenders bout between Johny Hendricks and Tyron Woodley, has been cancelled due to a rough weight cut for the former champion. Hendricks got back into the winning column with a dominant decision over Matt Brown at UFC 185, following a rematch with Robbie Lawler, where he lost his belt in a close split decision. Woodley is riding a two-fight winning streak since dropping a loss to former title challenger Rory MacDonald, with a huge knockout win over Dong Hyun Kim and a lackluster decision over contender Kelvin Gastelum. According to earlier reports, it appeared that Woodley would be next in line for the title, against the winner of Lawler vs. Carlos Condit. However, White appeared on FOX Sports Live this afternoon and wasn't quite sure what is next for 'The Chosen One'. "He's next in line, but there a lot of different variables involved," White said. "Robbie and Condit are fighting already on Jan. 2 in Las Vegas. What if one of them gets hurt after the fight? There's a lot of different timing variables. [Woodley] hasn't fought in a long time. He's got to fight, he's got to make money. He's next in line, but there's a lot of variables to get into that title." Woodley weighed in successfully at 170-pounds, and will receive his show money for making the welterweight limit. It also looks like White will be forcing 'Bigg Rigg' up to middleweight, similar to what happened with Gastelum and John Lineker earlier this year. "I consider him a 185-pounder right now. I do not want to see him at 170 again." White said on FOX Sports Live that, despite Hendricks telling media his weight cut was going well, he was 26-pounds over the limit when he arrived in Houston on Tuesday. With the change, a light heavyweight bout between contenders Ryan Bader and Rashad Evans has been shifted to the co-feature slot. A flyweight bout between Joseph Benavidez and Ali Bagautinov has been moved up to the pay-per-view main card. Also, Adriano Martins vs. Islam Makhachev has been moved up to the televised preliminary card from the early UFC Fight Pass prelims. UFC 192 takes place live from the Toyota Center in Houston, TX on Oct. 3. In the main event, Daniel Cormier defends his light heavyweight belt against Alexander Gustafsson.

1 Comment

  1. Jim Baldwin

    October 3, 2015 at 5:34 pm

    My 2 cents worth! The time has come for the UFC to change the weight class system in combination with fighters cutting weight! It’s not healthy for fighters, proves to be of little advantage to most fighters as everybody cuts weight and we the fans lose out because I honestly believe fighters are not at their peak after cutting 25 to 30 pounds and then putting 20 of it back on in the last 24 hours prior to a fight. Not to mention, a few fights that have actually been cancelled from bad cuts and last minute hospitalization! I also think the increased number of injuries may be somewhat linked to weight cutting. As my son suggested, why not do away with weight cutting altogether by checking weights perhaps 4 times per year. Whatever weight class a fighter wants to be in, he must be at or below that weight with each weigh-in. Could be difficult to administer but why couldn’t it work? I’m tired of the crazy weight cuts…it’s a detriment to the sport!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *